How to Encrypt email messages
Encrypt a single message
- In the message, on the Message tab, in the Options group on the ribbon, click the Encrypt Message Contents and Attachments button .
Note If you don't see this button, click the Options Dialog Box Launcher in the lower right corner of the group to open the Message Options dialog box. Click the Security Settings button and in the Security Properties dialog box, select Encrypt message contents and attachments. Click OK and then close the Message Options dialog box.
- Compose your message and send it.
Choosing to encrypt all outgoing messages means, in effect, your e-mail is encrypted by default. You can write and send messages the same as with any other e-mail messages, but all potential recipients must have your digital ID to decode your messages.
- On the Tools menu, click Trust Center, and then click E-mail Security.
- Under Encrypted e-mail, select the Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages check box.
- To change additional settings, such as choosing a specific certificate to use, click Settings.
- Click OK twice.